Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Advice on teaching in PA? Education/certification, etc.?

I%26#039;m thinking about a career change and I would love to teach. However, I work full time and my hours can go as late as 9pm, so I%26#039;m having trouble finding a courseload that will accomodate this.



I currently have a B.A. (in theatre arts). Any suggestions on how to work the required curriculum into my schedule? Good online programs, etc.?



Also, I%26#039;m not sure of the student teaching requirements in PA. Any teachers out there who can help? Can I get a job teaching w/o the student teaching hours at a lower pay rate and log the hours then?



I%26#039;m very serious about this. I want to do something w/ meaning and I love to teach (have done some children%26#039;s theatre, etc.). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!



Advice on teaching in PA? Education/certification, etc.?

I live in Ohio, so I%26#039;m not sure how similar PA is. I suggest contacting your local college/university and setting up a meeting with someone in the education department. They will be able to tell you exactly what requirements you%26#039;ll need and may even point you towards good online courses. With a Bachelor%26#039;s degree you can sub in the schools. Look around for your local school websites and fill out a sub application. You can also teach in some private schools with a Bachelor%26#039;s degree. I%26#039;m pretty sure you can%26#039;t get a teaching position in a public school until you have your teaching license.. but like I said, you can sub and possibly even be a teacher aide.



Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment